Friday, January 18, 2013

We Were the Cost Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

(THEO)

We sat for about twenty minutes in silence, the only noise was Sarah sobbing, her head on Travis' chest. I stared helpless. Maes was on her knees next to her oldest brother, just staring, tearsfalling in a river down her face. Clint stared, face almost one of unbelief.
"Travis?" he asked. Sarah started sobbing harder.
I could just stand here, and watch everything crumble around me. I always knew one of us could've died. But now that it's happened...it's almost like a scary dream. My legs felt like bricks,and I couldn't move. Sarah's shirt was drowned in his blood, and it scared me, the way it stained her skin and hair.
"Sarah..." I whispered, touching her shoulder,"we need to go."
She backed away slowly, her expression unreadable.
"We can't just leave him here!" Clint screamed.
"They know we're here,"Kain said,"they'll come back soon."
"So what?" Clint asked."Now that he's died for us, we're going to leave him here to get torn apart by animals?"
"Don't say that!" Maes sobbed, her hands in her hair, like she wanted to pull it out. "God...Mom and Dad don't even know..." she whispered. "They won't know till wecome back...we're gonna come home and he won't be with us..." her voice broke off and she started sobbing. "We can't leave him here!"
"We can't take him with us!"
"We need to bury him,"Sarah whispered. We all turned to look at her. "We'll come back for him later."
"Maes could cremate him, if you're worried," I whispered.
"No," Maes said, throwing down the gloves. "I am not doing that," she spat.
"I will," Clint whispered,"if I have to."
"No," Sarah said quietly."No...lets bury him. We'll come back."
She crawled over to Travis, and kissed his forehead. "We'll come back...."
It took Kain and I a good while to dig up a decent grave in the clay by the river. Not deep enough to where we couldn't get him up again, but deep enough so that animals couldn't dig him up.
"I've never seen Sarah like that," Kain whispered.
I looked down. "Neither have I."
Sarah had wrapped him in blankets. Kain and I carried him down, and Maes, Clint, and Sarah said their goodbyes. I didn't have anything to say to him publicly, but I thanked him in my head. For dying for us. For dying for Sarah.
"We need to go," I said, after another thiry minutes. I was sad too, no where near as much as them, but I was more anxious. I would morn Travis when I had time, in a way he deserved. Now, we didn't need to die after he died to protect us. We needed to go.
Sarah nodded, and wiped her eyes, and helped Maes stand. We gathered the things, and Sarah took up the weapons bag, the one Travis always carried. Kain took her pillowcase, dispite her half-hearted protests.
"I can't believe it," Maes whispered, staring forward. Her black eyes were rimmed red.
"I am so sorry, Maes."
She shook her head at me."Don't be. That's what he wanted. I know it is. He wouldn't regret it."
"...He died a hero," I told her. She smiled weakly.
"He wouldn't have accepted any other way to go."


--------------------------------------


(SARAH)

I was numb. I had stopped crying, but now I just didn't feel anything. No anger, sadness, hurt...anything. I just walked alongside everyone, not really caring about anything. I just wanted to forget.
I was exhausted from crying so much, but I kept going. Kain noticed how tired I was and offered to carry me for a while. I declined a bit harshly. I didn't want any other person right now.
"Sarah... Do you want to talk?" Kain asked.
"There's nothing to talk about," I replied monotonously.

Hours of walking went by and I honestly wondered if any of us actually knew where to go. All I knew was that I couldn't wait to find the anti-Ishvalan group. I understood Kain's lust for vengeance now. I wanted revenge so badly, it was the only thing driving me forward now.
But, we weren't exactly going for revenge, no matter how much we wanted it. We were going for Alphonse. We didn't need to get distracted by revenge.
Theo and Kain were really the only ones who were emotionally stable enough to keep up a conversation. Maes walked right beside Clint, who occasionally said a few words. I walked a bit far away from everyone, holding the alchemy book, which I flipped through a little. I kept looking at the human transmutation circle, just thinking, 'I could do it...'. Each time I did I slammed the book shut, repulsed at the very idea, but I always kept finding my way back to the page.
Theo eventually walked over to me. "Sarah... Travis wouldn't want you to beat yourself up about this," he said.
"No... It was my fault..." I mumbled, looking back at the book.
Theo looked over my shoulder at the page I was on and snatched the book out if my hands. He quickly scanned the page about human transmutation then whipped his head back around to look at me. "Sarah Elric! Please don't tell me that you were thinking of..! Sarah!"
I started crying. "I..! I just...! It's my fault!!" I screeched and snatched the book back, hugging it to my chest. "If I can't bring him back I'll die trying!!!" I started running as fast as I could clutching the book for dear life.
Didn't I owe Travis that much, to at least try...? I didn't care if I failed. It would just mean I at least tried.
I ended up getting farther from the group than anticipated. Theo never caught up to me. I was always a faster runner. He just shouted my name In the distance. I thought if I could get farther from them, it would get me farther from reality, but as I got farther I was so emotionally unstable I couldn't even stand. I collapsed onto the ground, the warm sand blowing all over me and soaking up my tears.
I don't know how long I was there, or if the others had given up looking for me or not. I didn't know if it was a mirage or if there was a large truck driving towards me. As it got nearer it stopped. Amestrian men stepped out of it and stood over me.
"Ain't this one a' them kids who knocked out a whole squad?" I heard one say.
"I reckon it is," one laughed darkly.
"Think she's dead?"
"Nah. But I do know how to take care of that." I heard a gun click and then felt the barrel on my head.
Please shoot. Please.
"Hey, man. Don'cha think she'd be better left dead after we asked her a few questions on the whereabouts of them little hoodlums?"
"Hm... I s'pose your right." He put the gun up.
They lifted me by my arms and threw me in the back of the truck.








A/N: Please don't hate us. I know, this was also a bad to spot to leave off on, but we can survive leaving it here. We just couldn't do that to Travis. We all know how annoying and egotistical he could be, but we all loved him in the end, huh? More chapters to come. Please r and r. Come back next Friday to find out what happens to Theo and Sarah--and Al? You'll have to read and see....

No comments:

Post a Comment