Saturday, February 11, 2012

Heroines, Grand and Meek

Meg here, and I am here to talk about Literature's great heroines! No, not the drug you delinquents. The women, as in the protagonists of the story. Some are so far advanced in great compositions of classics, and others for this time period have set us back 30 years. I would prefer to talk about the grand first.



Elizabeth (Lizzy) Bennett
she was of course the product of Jane Austen's beautiful mind. She is lovely main character of Pride and Prejudice (one of Meggie's favs!) She is women who is said to "Love books and has the patient for nothing more," although, this statement was enough to drive her pride into a rage for her to reply "I neither deserve such praise nor such censure,"
Her pride keeps her from her love interest, Mr. Darcy (who will have a post all his own). Perhaps I love her because she came from Jane Austen, or maybe because she's intelligent and looked over, perhaps it is because her pride reminds her of me, or because she was so ahead of her time, either way, Miss Bennett deserves praise!


Catherine (Cathy) Earnshaw
She is the lovely antagonist acting protagonist of Emily Bronte's book, Wuthering Heights. (which Meg is currently re-reading) She is proud and arrogant and angry and owns no manners, like her forbidden lover which she only acknowledges in her final hours of death.
She is so unlike most women (perhaps because of her odd and devastating upbringing). And again, ahead of her time. I rarely find women I like in novels, but she is one that I not only envied, but pitied.


Now, for some meek and pitiful Heroines:

Bella Swan
You know her as the star of the Twiligh series, as it is told from her perspective. I did only connect with in the begining of the first book where she was strong and independant, but slowly her life disolved with the two love interests of Edward and Jacob. Her only interests were them and nothing else. It was a pitiful ending and I mourned the death of the old human Bella, and the birth of the  morally weak, but physically strong Bella.


Katniss Everdeen
Not much I can say about this one. She was whiny from the begining. She wallowed in self-pity and hated everyone and blamed all but herself when she herself disearved the blame. She was pitiful and pathec and she made the final book, Mockinjay, barely readable.

Dorothy Gale
Oh! How this one carried on! "All I want is to go home and see Uncle Henry and Aunt Em! They must be worried sick!" she was a dreadful child who got into all sorts of trouble that was her own fault and again, she whinned and whinned and whinned. I honestly could not stand reading the 14 books that held her as it's protagonist.

Alice
This one is so unimportant it slipped my mind. Lewis Carrol was a beautiful writer, and I loved all his books, but how could I stand Alice! She was almost as bad as Dorothy!At least she accepted the blame for her faults. Stay away from Rabbit Holes and Looking Glasses girls!


-MEG

1 comment: