Friday, February 15, 2013

WE WERE THE COST--EPILOGUE

A/N: Guys, this makes me extremely sad. The final chapter. We've written a series of one-shots after this, but this is the end...
Gosh, I'm already crying. I just want to let everyone know how blessed we feel with all the feedback this story has gotten. The readers we have are absolutely amazing. It always made my week seeing comments from leiras and the soul alchemist 15. You guys rock.
It's sad thinking this is the last time Demy and I ever get to write (SARAH) or (THEO) in front of an entry. It's sad we don't get to be these characters again. It's sad introducing We Were the Cost, knowing we'll never do it again.
It's sad knowing this is the last time this story will ever get a disclaimer. So, with tears in our eyes, we present to you the final chapter of We Were the Cost, the epilogue. Thank you all.
Disclaimer:We do not own Fullmetal Alchemist.



EPILOGUE
(SARAH)


I sit under the old tree outside our house, looking for shade to guard me from the brutal summer sun. I've gotten used to just being able to relax like this in the past few months since we got back from Ishval. A lot of things around the house have changed. There are no more secrets, no more lies about Father and Uncle's past. Mother and Father fight less, and Theo and I fight less too. The both of us saw a different side of each other in Ishval, and made us learn more about each other, and understand each other better. Everyone is happier in general. We don't act as cold to each other as we did before.
Mom spends a lot more time in the kitchen, considering we often have guests. The Mustangs come once a week to visit us. The fuhrer isn't always able to accompany his family, but sometimes he finds ways to come, just to pester Father.
Theo and Maes always spend a lot of time together during the Mustangs' visits, holding hands and things like that, despite the fuhrer's constant objections. I think that Theo and Maes are adorable together though. Theo often hits me for gushing over how sweet they act around each other.
During the Mustang's visits I usually just study and discuss alchemy with Clint. We've both gotten pretty good at it.
"Yo, Sarah!" I hear Theo yell from the porch.
I sit up, startled. I almost fell asleep. Actually, I kind of wish I would've fallen asleep, and dreamt about Kain. I miss him... He left for Ishval right after we made it back to Resembool, and I haven't seen him since. I wonder if he even made it back. He was still in poor health when he left. I groan. "What, Theo?" I call back. Upon second glance, I see that Theo has his arm slung over Maes' shoulders, playing with her hair. Is it me or does he look taller?
"Mom wanted me to tell you she's making pie," Theo yelled. This makes me get up and run inside the house as fast as freaking possible.
I'm hit with the scent of cinnamon and apples as I enter the kitchen. Mom giggles as she takes the pie out of the oven. "Don't touch, Sarah. It still has to cool," Mom mocks. This is torture... I want some freaking pie.
I sigh and walk into the living room, sitting down on the floor next to Clint, who is reading. As usual.
"Hey," I say.
"Hey," he replies, not looking up from the book. I decide not to bother him.
Alphonse sits in the chair in the corner of the room, May on his lap. Her bear-cat, Shao-Mei, scampers around on the floor curiously. I see May rubbing her belly and realize that, soon, Shao-Mei won't be the only thing crawling around.
Alphonse makes conversation with the fuhrer and his wife, Riza, who are sitting on the couch. Every time I see Riza's blonde hair and brown eyes I'm reminded of Travis. I miss him terribly, and I feel guilt over his death, though I've been told it's not my fault. The fuhrer and his wife won't even except any apologies. I remember when we got back from Ishval how Kain apologized for the part he played in Travis's death, though he wasn't directly responsible. Kain begged for forgiveness, only for the Mustangs to just continue to tell him that it wasn't his fault. They don't blame anyone.
Theo walks in the house, Maes still clinging to him. I'm not really in the mood to go over and annoy them.
Thankfully, Mom walks into the living room, telling us that we can eat now. I jump up and speed to the kitchen, grabbing a plate of pie and a fork, then head back outside, under my tree.
I burn my tongue a bit on the first bite, then decide to slow down a bit. My pie is gone before I know it, but I don't feel like going to get more. I just want to lay here, where its comfortable. I'm exhausted, and have been every day since we've gotten back. I haven't been getting much sleep, considering all of my nightmares. Most revolve around Travis's death, or the fight with Felicity.
But, despite my fear of nightmares, my eyes flutter shut and I slip into darkness.
I hear a small laugh in front of me, and slowly open my eyes, upset that someone woke me. It takes a minute for my eyes to adjust to the shadows the sun are casting on the person in front of me. The first thing I see is his white hair and red eyes.
"Kain!" I shout, wrapping my arms around him.
He smiles and hugs me tightly. "Sarah..." he whispers in my ear.
We stay like that for a while, then pull away from each other. He sits in front of me on his knees, smiling. Despite how amazing his smile is (and how rare his smiles are), my eyes are drawn to the scar running diagonally across his face. It goes from above his right eye all the way down to the left side of his jaw. I ran my finger over the edge of the scar by his jaw. "Kain..." I whimper.
He puts his hand over mine. "It's alright, Sarah," he says soothingly.

We walk to the house a couple minutes later. Well, I run and jump in the house, excited that Kain is here. He follows right behind me, slightly laughing at how I'm acting.
"Kain's here! Kain's here!" I shout, running into the living room.
Father gives Kain a small grin. "Looking more like your old man every day," he chuckles, referring to Kain's scar.
"Edward!" Mom scolds, punching Dad in the arm.
Kain laughs. "It's quite alright, Mrs. Elric."
Fuhrer Mustang stands and shakes Kain's hand. "Hey, there."
"Hello, sir," Kain says, not making direct eye contact, obviously still feeling guilt over Travis's death.
Seeming to sense this, Mustang says, "You know, Felicity Kimblee has been a thorn in the military's side for quite some time. If you hadn't gotten rid of her, I'm not sure what we would've done. I'd like to thank you for you excellent work."
Kain is taken aback by Mustang's gratitude. "I-It--I--um.. No problem," Kain stutters, caught off guard.
"Hey, Mustang!" Uncle says condescendingly, standing up and approaching him. "I could've defeated Felicity! Kain just got to her first!"
The fuhrer laughs. "Whatever you say, Elric."
"Hey, I could've!" Al defends.
We all laugh, knowing that Alphonse is totally kidding. He doesn't want to kill anyone any more than I do.
May walks over to Kain, examining his scar. "You know, I've gotten much better in the art of alkahestry," she states, running her index finger over the scar. "I'm sure I could get rid of this scar."
Kain shakes his head, losing his smile. "No. This scar serves as my constant reminder for the sins I've committed. If I can't atone, then at least I--"
"Shut up," I command. "You act like you're such a bad person." I clutch his shirt and stare into his deep red eyes. "You saved my life. Isn't that enough atonement?" Before I know it, our lips are pressed together. It feels so...good...
Well, it did before I realized what I'm doing. I pull away and run outside, filled with gut-wrenching guilt. Sitting on the porch step, my mind whirrs around, trying to get ahold of everything. I shouldn't have kissed Kain. Since I've been home, I haven't even kissed either of my parents. It's because...I wanted the kiss I gave Travis...my first kiss...to mean something. It was my first kiss to anyone outside my family, and a part of me wanted it to be my last. Tears well up in my eyes. My emotions have always been a wreck.
Theo steps outside and sits beside me. I don't even bother looking over at him.
"So, kiss and run, eh?" he chuckles.
"Shut up," I say harshly, my voice breaking.
He sighs, losing his smile. "Look, all joking aside, don't you think it's okay to move on?" I wonder how he knows what I'm upset about. Am I that transparent?
"But...Travis liked me...and he died..." I cry.
"Sarah, I think Travis would want you to do whatever makes you happy."
"But..."
"If you had died Instead of him, wouldn't you want him to be happy with some other girl anyway?
I giggle a little. "Well, he is Travis. There would be no stopping him from that anyway. But, yeah. I would just want him to be happy, I guess."
"Well there's your answer then," he says, getting up to leave.
I suppose it would be alright to move on... But then why do I still feel so guilty for wanting someone else? Travis genuinely liked me... It feels wrong not to.. Ugh... I don't even know anymore...
I hear the door open and close behind me again, but I don't even turn around to see who it is. I jump a bit as I'm wrapped in a gentle hug from behind.
"You act like you're such a bad person," I hear Kain's voice whisper in my ear, using my own words against me.
I suppose...moving on would be for the best...
"Kain..." I sigh, smiling.
We walk over to the tree and talk. Kain apologizes further for his betrayal and it gets to the point I want to slap him. He needs to learn when he's been forgiven, or when he's even at fault.
We sit under the tree, huddled together, the sun starting to set. We've apparently been out here long enough for Father to start worrying, because I can hear him inside the house shouting, "Where is Kain with my daughter!?" Gotta love Dad.
I sigh, not wanting to leave this position, my arms wrapped around Kain, watching the sun set over the grassy hills of Resembool. I ultimately decide that if we don't get our butts in the house, Father will beat us with one of Mom's wrenches, so I stand up and walk towards the house, Kain following right behind.
When we get back inside, the Mustangs are preparing to leave, saying their good-byes to everyone. Maes and Theo share an especially long hug, followed by a quick kiss. Clint just says "see ya" and asks to borrow one of my father's alchemy books. I let him have it, then the Mustangs are out the door.
Kain looks down at me. "I must be going as well," he says, a bit dejectedly.
"What?" I ask. "You just got here! Can't you stay?" I get a very threatening glare from Father.
"I'm sorry, I can't," Kain sighs. "I have to get back to Ishval before it gets too dark."
"What have you been doing in Ishval anyway?" I ask curiously, though a bit rude.
"I've been welcomed back into my village," he replies, smiling.
"Really?" I ask. "That's great!"
"Yeah," Kain says, grinning. "But I really have to go. I promise I'll be back soon." With that, he leaves.
I walk back into the living room and plop down on the couch. Alphonse and May sit in the corner, cuddling, Al looking like the happiest man in the world. I'm happy that the emperor of Xing allowed one of his princesses to marry an Amestrian. Al and May are just so happy together. And normally I would find it cute, but now it's kind if depressing, considering Kain's gone, and God only knows when he'll be back.
Theo comes in and sits down next to me, also looking upset.
"You bummed too?" I ask.
"Ee-yup," he sighs. He always gets like this right after Maes leaves. Only now do I understand the feeling.
"I hope Kain comes back soon..." I groan. "I'm sick of waiting."
"I had to wait on your father for quite some time," Mother says, glancing over at Father.
Alphonse laughs. "We were a bit busy, Winry."
"You guys could've at least called more!" she exclaims.
"Yeah, but then you would've wanted to come with us," Dad mumbles.
"Well considering how often you broke your automail, I might as well have come with you!"
This kind of fighting between Mother and Father, Theo and I didn't mind.
"Tch, whatever." Dad leans against the wall. He looks over to Alphonse and May and sighs. "Look, Al, I know I should've said this sooner, but I'm sorry for not coming to rescue y--"
"It's fine, Brother," Alphonse says.
"No, it's really not."
"Yes it is. You've already done so much for me, Brother. If it weren't for you, I'd still be a suit of armor, and you gave up your ability to use alchemy to get me back. I couldn't ask any more of you. Besides, if Theo and Sarah hadn't come, they wouldn't have met everyone else." He stands up, helping May up as well, then walks over to the door. "Just think of it this way, Brother," he says, opening the door and starting to step out, smiling. "When Theo and Sarah get married to Maes and Kain, we'll be related to Roy and Scar!" He runs out of the house, laughing his head off, Father trailing right behind him.
"ALPHONSE ELRIC, THOSE ARE MY CHILDREN AND YOU WILL NOT SPEAK OF SUCH THINGS!!!!"
We all laugh.
"Those boys just won't ever grow up, will they?" Mom sighs.
Things have definitely been more interesting around here since we've gotten back.
I'm glad to have Uncle Alphonse back.


THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment