Friday, December 30, 2011

Meg's Romantic Mind pt. V

FRIDAY FANTASY PT. V


I awoke the next morning with a fierce cough. At rehearsal, the managers-upon seeing my appearance- demanded I be sent home til I was well. Even though, I protested, my mother (of course) forced me to the gala tonight across town at Sorelli's home. In my coral evening gown, I felt naked with out my mask. Regardless, the dark carriage pulled to the front of the opera house, and I entered, my Matthew sitting beside me.

And an emptiness filled me I had never felt before.
***

Matthew had slipped away after the last dance, where he had run off to? To the devil if I knew.

Walking past room after room, I found him. He was in a room with the Comte DeChagny, the Count Phillepe and several other Drunkards. The men were laughing, vile men. They were stone drunk, and reeked of alcohol. I didn't dare enter the room, but I listened from behind the door.
"An angel?" I heard the Count scoff. "Brother she's playing you. Your innocent chorus girl is pulling your leg. She's sleeping with this 'angel'!"
"Your lying."Complained the Viscount.
And so went there conversation of Christine. Matthew had not said a word until one of the men-a rather fat one whom I did not recognize-spoke to him. About me.
"So Baron, I have heard word you are courting the little Giry girl. Is it true?"
Matthew sighed and groaned and the men laughed at his response.
"She that bad?" another gangly man asked.
"Yeah, in bed." replied the fat man.
"Enough! Enough!" Matthew slurred in his drunken tone. He was angry.
"Well, then Baron. Enlighten us," replied the fat man teasingly
He stood as well he could as drunk as he was. And said,"Her hair is an ugly yellow, but shines in the candle lit night. Her eyes are blue, but thick pupils make them black as sloes. She has a...swarthy complexion and poor little skin stretched over her poor little bones. And I could crush her between my fore-finger and thumb. I don't even know why I participate in the season anymore. But, I'm stuck with the whore and I'll be stuck with her for life.Excuse me men, but I must go see her before she slips away again."
"Good day Baron!" called the drunkards and Matthew waved a surly hand in reply.

I stood outside the door, and I had my back to it. So, when Matthew left the room, I was the first thing he saw.
"Oh," he whispered.
"Maybe," I began,"It would be best to keep your thoughts to yourself."
"I-"
"I don't want to hear it,"I hissed between clenched teeth. He held out his arm, and I took it. He lead me down the stairs of the home and called to the footman.
"Send for the Gubler carriage."
"Yessir," said the footman then scampered off.
"Wha-"
"The Comte DeChangy left us his box for to-night's performance of Faust."
"Oh," I whispered stupidly.

I coughed in the carriage, and on our way into the box. The seats were so close to one another, I was shocked when Matthew did not move them away from one another.
Once the curtain rose, I coughed and coughed and coughed. And at intermission, Matthew finally spoke.
"Do you want me to take you to your room?"
WHAT?!
"Your ill," he said.
oh.
"You're paler than a ghost, let me take you upstairs to your room."
"...okay."

***
"What's wrong with her?!"cried Mother.
"She's just got a cold Madame Jules," Matthew reassured her,"But, she needed rest and I didn't want her out in the opera house sick. It won't help her get well."
"You mean you didn't want me sick so I'd be coughing in the middle of the performance so people would send dirty looks your way and you didn't want me to infect the majority of the opera house and yourself."I groaned, feeling much worse than before.
"I mean what I said,"he hissed. And, despite himself, he kneeled beside me and kissed my hand, then my forehead. "I wish you well." he stood and faced mother,"I called for a doctor, he will be here soon. I had hoped to stay the night, if that is alright with you."
Mother nodded,"I insist,"

And so he stayed the night.
I, unable to sleep as there was a viscous pain growing in my throat, and seemed to be infiltrating my lungs and I ached all over my body, listened to Matthew's breathing just feet from my own. He had taken the floor next to my bed. I reached down and caught his hand in mine. And his body released a chuckle.
"Can not sleep either?"  he asked.
I couldn't reply. I was in too much pain, so I let a plaintive cry.
He looked at me shocked.

"Doctor!Doctor!" he yelled, and leaped up.

And in doing so, he let go of my hand.

And in doing so, all the warmth left my body.

And the pain was more than I could bare

No comments:

Post a Comment