Thursday, March 28, 2013

I Like the Way You Do It- Now readable

(THEO)

I felt a nudge at the back of my head, prodding through my mess of blonde hair. I shook into consciousness, taking in my surroundings.
I was outside. I could feel soft winds rolling over the soft grass I was laying on roll gently over me. It was cool here, and upon grasping my hands into the dirt, I found something hard and rough. I was under the tree in the front yard.
I kept my eyes closed at something hit me again.
"Theeeooo," it whined. No guesses here. Sarah. I groaned, rolling back over.
"Let me sleep."
"No."
I sat up for her, glaring her down.
"What do you want?" I hissed, enunciating each word with impatience.
Sarah glared, hands on her hips, eyes narrowed. She eclipsed the sun from my view with her tall frame. She was as skinny as she was tall, but Sarah had certainly grown. She was fifteen now to my seventeen, and it showed. Boys from the village came to the door asking for her sometimes, and it was times like that Father and I armed ourselves with Mother's wrenches, much to Sarah's embarrassment. I knew she didn't care though. After Sarah had kissed Kain, he'd visited off and on whenever he could. Kain was a good kid, and he was good for Sarah. I didn't need an angsty little sister. Mostly, though, Kain helped Sarah forget about Travis. Sarah would never forget him, now. She loved him, and part of her always would, I guess, but it wasn't healthy. She needed something else to love, something strong. Kain was that something.
And as much as Sarah needed Kain, I needed Maes.
I tried not to think about her when we were apart. I just got depressed until I saw her again. She came up once a week with Clint, mostly with a Nanny or guard, but sometimes the Fuhrer and his wife accompanied them just to talk with Father and Mother.
When Maes and I were together we were practically inseparable. I held onto her every moment I could, but then she'd leave me again....
It's not like either of us had a choice. I had to stay in Resembool and she had things to do in Central. Sarah and I were the closest thing to friends she'd ever had considering she'd hardly ever left the mansion. Maes had lived a sheltered life and I've always wanted to break her of it...but when she had the scariest father in the world, along with the most powerful one in the country, I was kind of walking on eggshells here.
I'm not sure the Fuhrer Mustang really ever supported our relationship. Or even does. I have no idea at all. I'm frankly just living in constant fear of him setting me on fire. And the other thing with Maes.
I feel like the Fuhrer also blames me for Maes using the gloves. Now, I had absolutely nothing to do with that. Maes' actions have been out of my hands and always have been. I couldn't control that girl if I wanted to. Apparently Flame Alchemy was a touchy subject in the Mustang family, and I frankly was too afraid to ask anything on that subject.
"Theo, Mom wants you in the house," Sarah said, kicking my head lightly again.
I rolled away from her and toward the base of the tree. I knew she was still standing there for a few minutes, and her watching me made me uncomfortable. I could hear her breathing and her shoe scraping into the dirt...
Oh crap.
I heard the transmutation before I felt it, the rocks beneath me pushing me up and down, slamming me hard and making me headbutt the bark of the tree.
"Sarah!" I screamed, begging for her to stop. Eventually, she did, and I stomped to a standing position to see my sister rolling on the ground laughing.
"I hate you," I growled.
"No you don't..." she sang, but I rolled my eyes, mumbling under my breath that she was right. She smiled.
"Alchemists..." I grumbled, walking into the house, pulling leaves out of my hair.
Sarah had gotten considerable better at alchemy since she found she was 'blessed' with the ability. I personally had never tried alchemy. I didn't want to know. I'd seen all the problems and horror it had caused in the lives of my loved ones and I didn't want to be apart of that. I was content with being Theo, who had no special ability whatsoever. Sometimes, Maes will spar with me, but she always wins. Then again, she had been trained along side her older brother her whole life, while I lived in my mom's automail shop.
Mom wanted me to take up automail but the whole thing just made me queasy. If I could do anything, I'd probably want to be in the military at Central. That dream had come up a few years ago, after Maes of course. I guess that's the only reason I wanted to be a military man, was to please Maes' father so that I could be with her.
I really need a social life.
"Good morning, sleepy head," Mom said from behind me, wrapping her arms around my shoulders.
"You're getting so big," she whispered into my ear sadly. "You're not going to need us anymore..." she mumbled, then pulled away, wiping her watery blue eyes. "I guess you haven't needed us for a while, huh?" Mom asked, looking back at Father who was reading the paper while simultaneously glaring at the glass of milk in front of him.
"Aw, Mom," I groaned, scratching the back of my head. "I'll always need you...."
"No," she whispered, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. "No, you won't."
Sarah tromped into the house a few moments later, and my mother squeezed her in a hug too. Sarah accepted it, but no shock there. Sarah and Mom had always been exceptionally close, where as Dad and I...well, we lived in the same house.
I sat at the table across from Dad, not saying a word, just playing with the stand of hair that always stood on end, flicking it back and forth.
"Mom?" I asked as Sarah plopped down next to me,"What did you want us for?"
She wiped her hands on her apron, smiling. "You'll see."
A knock sounded at the front door not long after this. Dad's eyes shot up, dark and on edge, like he thought it was trouble. I guess he would always be like that, after the childhood he had.
"Oh, just answer it, Edward," Mom laughed.
"Don't tell me what to do," he hissed, standing. From Mom's expression, I knew she knew he wasn't joking. They didn't do that much anymore, but when Dad got on edge, he got on edge.
His boots tromped across the hardwood to the front door, and even if I leaned around him, I couldn't see the other figure. Father stared for a moment, before attempting to close the door, only for a white gloved hand to shoot out and stop it.
"C'mon, Fullmetal, let the government in."
Sarah and I both turned to each other at the voice: Sarah beaming, my face probably one of pure terror.
The Fuhrer King Mustang pushed past our Father, standing in the middle of our doorway, hands on his hips, smiling, glancing around the room.
"Lovely as always, Mrs. Elric," the Flame Alchemist promised, glancing at Mother.
"Why, thank you."
"You knew he was coming?!" Dad yelled, causing Sarah to giggle. Mr. Mustang glanced over at her.
"Sarah," he said, smiling. I knew the Fuhrer always liked Sarah, what with her being so close to Travis, her likeness to Mother, and her being taken to alchemy. Sarah liked the Fuhrer, too. I think she even called him 'Roy' once, much to Father's displeasure. He was so like an Uncle to her.
"You like sweets, right?" he said, reaching into his blue military jacket, pulling out a little box. Sarah smiled.
"Thanks!"
"And for your mother..." Roy said, pulling a small box out of his pocket.
"Oh, gee," Mom said, opening it, and proceeding to squeel, jumping up and down.
"It's a wrench!! Oh my Gosh!!" she hugged it to her chest, twirling in a circle.
"You didn't that excited about the anniversary present I got you," Dad whinned.
"Well, you got me a locket. It was nice and all...but it wasn't this wrench!"
"Get out of my house, Mustang," Dad groaned. I laughed at his futile attempt, causing the Fuhrer to glance over at me.
"Theo," he said, dark eyes making me sink into my chair. This guy scared me so much.
"S-sir," I mumbled.
"You're gift...is in the car..." he mumbled. I sat in my chair for a moment, unsure.
"Go get it!" he barked. I yelped, jumping and running past him, to the car. Clint ran past me with his mother, both smiling and murmuring hellos, and I turned to the black car, windows tented.
I hesitantly pulled on the handle of the car, and leaning in, I caught a glimpse of a smile in the dark. My thoat closed.
"Hey, goldie," the soprano voice said, smiling. My knees turned to jello.
"Maes," I whispered, just before we both lunged to wrap our arms around one another. We sat in the backseat of the car for a long time, just sitting, listening to the other's breathing.
"I feel like I haven't seen you in forever," I whispered. She laughed.
"I know. It's been a full 162 hours since you last saw me. I don't know how I'm still breathing."
I blushed deeply. Everything in me tingled when Maes admitted she had feelings for me--especially feelings that strong.
Maes planted a chaste kiss on my lips, quick and stunning. She smirked as she pulled away, slipping over me, yanking my arm.
"C'mon, Dad'll want us inside. I don't think he likes it when we're alone together."

Maes, of course, was right. The Fuhrer gave me several glances during dinner, evil glares and such. I of course, was shaking in my boots, while Maes boldly grasped my hand, only increasing the Fuhrer's glares.
"It's awfully dark outside," Mother commented aloud. Roy looked up. "Perhaps you, Riza, and the children should spend the night here. We don't have much room, but you and Riza could take our room, and I don't think Clint and Maes would mind bunking with Theo and Sarah."
"Speak for yourself!" Dad yelled. "That bastard's not staying here tonight! Hawkeye, by all means, can have a little sleep over with you, I'll stay in my study. But Mustang? When hell freezes over."
The Fuhrer laughed, clutching his stomach, wiping his eyes.
"I'll sleep outside, if you hate me that much, Fullmetal, because I know you don't. Thank you, Mrs. Elric. My wife, I'm sure, would be very happy to room with you, as the children could room together as well. I'll find refuge on the couch," he said, making his way to the living room. Slowly, with mutters and happy giggles, the two families dispersed, until Maes and I were left alone, beaming at one another.
"Why are you smiling like that?" I asked her. I was still grinning wickedly myself. Maes was staying longer! Here, with me!
Maes returned the express, mumbling,"I get to sleep in your room."
I blushed as she drug me along into the room I shared with Sarah.
Nothing here could classify this as a child's room. Two beds with grey-blue sheets, one against the left wall, another under a window. Two beside tables meeting in a corner. One was stacked with books, a few pieces of chalk on the stand. A candle stick and a few matches. The other was void of much. A flower vase containing no flowers. A few opened letters. A lock of hair, black.
At the end of each bed were trunks, containing our wardrobes.
Clint was changing, and Sarah came in from the bathroom at the end of the hall in her long nightgown. She smiled as she saw mine and Maes' interlaced fingers.
"Shut up," I warned.
She smiled. "I didn't say anything!"
Maes dropped her black jacket, leaving her in a tank top. Pulling down her skirt-much to my horror, only revealed another petticoat, thinner and black. I breathed a sigh of relief.
Sarah climbed into bed, and Clint stared from me to Sarah.
"Theo?"
"Yeah, little man?" I asked. Clint had recovered well from being sick. He hadn't grown much, but he was 12 now. He was several notches more intelligent, but every inch still innocent.
"Can I sleep with Sarah?"
I smiled and nodded. His eyes lit up as he ran over to my sister, a girl who had often treated him like a son. Regardless of the fact I had dragged his sick body across a building, and to Ishval....
I stopped the thought. I didn't want nightmares with Maes here....
Maes.

Only one available spot to sleep. And it was in my bed. I swore.

Regardless, the black-haired girl jumped into my bed, smiling as she curled into my side. Maes, with her sailor's mouth and strong will. Maes, who had murdered in cold rage, who watched her brother die and saw standing in the grave. Saw her brother's love fall into depression. Maes, who I loved. Maes, who loved me.
I smiled, wrapping my arms around her, kissing her forehead, tucking her under my chin. I loved feeling like this, protecting her, even though it was often the other way around.
"Theo?" she asked. The moon had risen and both Sarah and Clint were sleeping, breathing heavy.
"Hmm?" I asked, twirling a piece of her charcoal hair.
"I love you."
My skin broke out in gooseflesh.
"I love you, too, Maes," I responded, pulling her closer to me.
"Maes?" I asked after a moment.
"Yes?"
"...When we left...back then," I didn't need to clarify. She knew. "In the beginning, you insisted me on calling you Raven."
"Yes."
I pursed my lips. "Why did you stop?"
"Well...when you said my name....I liked the way you said it."
My heart melted, and I leaned down to press my lips to hers again, a bit more fiercely than the kiss in the car, but broke away just as fast.
"Have I told you I loved you?" I asked.
She giggled quietly. "Yes?"
"Well, I haven't told you enough."
She smiled, before yawning. Soon enough, Maes was sighing in her sleep next to me.

We woke up late in the day, both of us still wrapped in each other's embrace. Sarah tapped my head with a book.
"Wakey, wakey. Roy's coming for an inspection, so I'd move your girlfriend to the other bed." Maes crawled swiftly out of my bed (much to my dismay) and into Sarah's rolling over in, pretending to snore. I rose, on the other hand, ready to face the day. I washed up and changed in the bathroom, only to come into the hallway with King Mustang staring me down. I was shaking within a matter of seconds. It was amazing, what those black eyes could do. How did Mrs. Mustang marry this man, with those eerie eyes? No, I knew the answer. That same set of eyes were placed in the head of the girl who'd spent last night in my bed. I knew those eyes could be cold and unfeeling, but I knew they could change on a dime as well.
"Theo," Roy Mustang nodded at me.
"Sir," I replied, shakily.
Roy Mustang had been much more...upbeat and likable when we first met. He had his fun teasing me because I was the son of the Fullmetal Alchemist, but now that I was romantically involved with his daughter...I guess any man would.
"Theo, could we talk? Outside?"
Neither statement was a question.
"Y-yes, sir."
We stood in the sunlight for a long while, walking down the road through Resembool.
"How did you sleep?" Mustang asked. I looked up at him, and his eyes were straight on the road ahead, hands folded behind his back.
"Fine, sir. You?"
"Your father's couch....its not very comfortable."
I laughed falsely, and I knew he could tell.
"Theo, let's stop beating around the bush, shall we?" he parked us under the shade of a tree, and the first half of his face was shaded by his officer's cap.
"Uh, y-yes--"
"What exactly are your intentions with my daughter?"
I froze. "Well, uh, you see, sir..." my mouth tasted like cotton.
"Well?"
I didn't say anything.
"Theo, what is it you want to do with your future?"
"I-I want to be in the military, sir."
He cocked his eyebrows.
"Why?"
"...My father did it, even though he didn't want to. I guess that's where my life really started. And well, I want to move to Central."
"Why?" he paused. "Give me the real reason."
"Maes," I sputtered. "I want to move to be with Maes."
Roy Mustang didn't move, just sighed, muttering under his breath.
"Theo, you and your father...two excruciatingly annoying young men..." he grumbled. "Do you have any idea how much my daughter pouts? It's only when we're here that I see her smile. She has no interest in her studies or training or...anything! Unless it's directly related to you. So, in her best interests..."
"Sir?"
"Theo, you can come to Central this summer, to live in the mansion."
I stared. "Oh, sir--"
"And that's an order!!"
"O-of course! Of course I'll come!"
"Now...now go tell Maes and pack your bags, son."
"Oh course! Thank you! Thank you so much!"
I sprinted off towards the house again, screaming at the top of my lungs for Maes. I couldn't believe it! A whole summer with her!
Maybe, this would all work out. Part of me wondered if this was permission, just to be with her. God, I wanted to be with her....
Maybe we'd get married, and grow old together, have kids. Yeah, that'd be great.
I love you, Maes. And I'm coming.

A/N: I know I'm a bad little albino for not posting last week. I've been so busy guys. Ulgh. Anyway...I will post two one-shots today for you, because I was such a bad person...but now I have to figure out what order they go in....suck. This is my punishment. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment