Sunday, March 24, 2013

MEG'S REVIEW OF THE LITTLE MERMAID

WARNING: THINGS LISTED IN MEG'S BRUTALLY HONEST REVIEW MAY BE DEROGITORY. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Also, before I begin, may I get this out.
DEMY YOU WERE SO FREAKING GOOD!! I LIKE, CRIED AT THE END YOU DID SOOO GOOODD!!! GAH, MY LITTLE BABY!!
Your scene was like, the first time anyone cheered. The rest of the first numbers were so...bad.

And it's not the main actors fault at all. Most of the main actors were SO GOOD. It's...a reoccuring problem with this theatre group: the chorus.

When they took on this production, they had the intent to make it a chorus show. Little Mermaid is NOT a chorus show. Often times the chorus was IN FRONT of the talking actors. This is sooooo wrong. Upstaging: no no. Big no no.

The dancing was....really bad. Really, really bad. We know who to blame for that....

The staging was really the directors fault. I didn't really feel like clapping for her in the end. I know that was her vision, and they tried to get all the kids on the stage, but they don't need to be. The little scuttles were stupid and all the scenes were the chorus just STOOD there. Doing NOTHING.

Sebastian was great per usual. I'm so sad this the last year I'll see him. He was definately the most perfessional.
Ariel had a very pretty voice.
King Triton....ehh....he couldn't really...act. Shirtless guy who just broke our state bench press record though...it got people in the seats....
Prince Erik did pretty good. It just threw me off that he was blatantly younger, but that unavoidable. All things considering, he was great.
It was obvious that Ursala, Flotsam and Jetsam were crowd favorites. Amazing, all of you. I got goosebumps every time you spoke.
Grimsby was....idk. Everytime he spoke, I had no idea who was speaking because he sounded like a woman. So, I was looking around and since he gave no gesture it was just like...huh?

The chorus again. I'm glad I wasn't epileptic. If you are going to make this a chorus show, then tell the cast to get light less bright outfits. I couldn't focus on the main characters because the dancers suits were like, fucking glowing. So many and so many colours just...killed me....I'm surprised I didn't seize up.

Everything with Scuttle was stupid, not because it was a bad actress, but because of the little scuttles following. They were distracting, and kept breaking character. Not entertaining at all, just annoying.


Sorry if that offended anyone. The show was great over all, great actors and talent up there, but the chorus...they're the chorus for a reason. I was onstage for Millie maybe three or four times. Not bothered by that at all. I was in the chorus, therfore, not on stage.

Just sayin'. Haters gonna hate.
Taters gonna po-tate.
-Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment