Thursday, March 28, 2013

Someone Who Understands

(SARAH)

I drew the curtains shut and curled back into bed, clutching the blankets closer, even though it was summer and I was burning up. I didn't want to leave my room. I just wanted to lay here for the rest of the day. I am sooo lazy... But I didn't really have anything else to do anyway. With Theo staying in Central for the summer, I didn't have anyone to annoy, or really to just talk to. I mean, I could talk to Mother or Father, but I'm just closer to Theo.
There was a knock at my door. "Sarah," my mom called. "May and Al will be leaving soon. Get up." Auntie May and Uncle Al had stayed at our house last night. I generally enjoyed when they came over, but their baby crying all night didn't allow for very sound sleep.
I swung my legs over the side of the bed, pulling the covers off, then yawned as I ambled to the door. I fumbled for the door handle and walked out into the hall, making my way towards the living room, where Uncle Al sat in the chair, bouncing his little daughter on his knee, her giggling in delight.
"Well, look who's back from the dead," Mom mocked as I entered the room. Aunt May giggled and hugged me.
"Aww, I'm going to miss you," she crooned, then took the baby from Al as he stood.
He came over and embraced me as well. He'd gotten considerably stronger than the last time he was here, which wasn't long after we'd gotten back from Ishval.
Al walked over to Dad and they bumped their fists together, grinning. "Some boy's gonna snatch her up, Ed," Al laughed, winking at Father.
"Too late," dad groaned.
"I know," Uncle taunted. "Just wanted to hear what you thought about it."
"Get out," Dad joked, punching Al's arm and pointing to the door. I liked seeing Dad smile. It wasn't too often that he did, and it was usually mostly around Uncle, though he didn't visit often.
May and Mother exchanged hugs and then Aunt May and Uncle Al were headed out the door. I wondered when the next time they were going to visit was. I mean, I know Xing is far away, and that it's hard to travel with a child, but I wish they would come over more often.
Deciding I had nothing else to do, I headed back to my room.
"And where do you think you're going?" Mom asked in a condescending tone.
I stopped and sighed. "My room?"
"I don't think so. You've been in there all day. It is 2 o'clock in the afternoon."
"That early?" I yawned.
Mom rolled her eyes and gave an exasperated sigh.
"Fine!" I groaned as melodramatic as possible. "Just let me go get dressed." I made my way back to my room and dug through my trunk containing my clothes. I switched my nightgown with a white skirt going to my knees, and a sleeveless white blouse with a black bow at my neck.
Grabbing my beige messenger bag and strapping on my sandals, I headed out of the house, telling Mom that I was going to town. I knew it was quite a long walk, but I wanted time alone.
Setting out on the dirt path that ran for miles, I took in a deep breath of the fresh air, realizing I hadn't been outside in a while. I hadn't cared to. Since Theo left, I hadn't really had the will to do much of anything. It was weird. I just couldn't function correctly anymore unless I was around Theo, or Maes, or Clint, or Kain. Like they were my only grip on reality. The only way I can know I'm not the only one who's had nightmares. I know Theo has them, though he wouldn't admit it. Losing Alphonse had put them there, then everything that had resulted from that. I knew Maes and Clint had nightmares as well. About...Travis.
Travis... Not a day went by that I didn't think of him. The pain was less intense now, but I still would never be able to forget what he did.
Just remembering his playful smile warmed my heart and brought out my own smile, which I knew hadn't surfaced in quite some time.
I shifted my bag to my other shoulder and kicked up dust as I walked. Maybe I should've worn close-toed shoes. My feet were going to be absolutely filthy by the time I would even get to town, which I didn't think was too far away by then.
I passed by the little cemetery as I walked. It brought on unpleasant thoughts, which I wouldn't like to go into detail on, though you could probably guess.
Some shops and stores came into view and I knew I had reached my destination. I walked through the crowds of people, who were all abuzz about something or other. Probably some sort of gossip I wouldn't care about, so I decided to ignore them.
I went over to a little fruit stand run by a lady whom I've known forever, though I hadn't seen in a few years.
"Well, if it isn't Sarah Elric!"
"Hey, Sage," I giggled, sitting my bag on the ground a moment.
"Haven't seen you in a while. What'cha been up to?" she asked, the streaks of silver in her hair glistening in the sunlight.
"Nothing much," I replied. "Just the usual."
She laughed and grinned. "You are just the cutest thing ever, you know that?" she said, the way adults will. (Mrs. Adams reference :D) (delete this once you read it, Meg)
I grinned awkwardly, not knowing how to reply.
"You know what?" she said, tossing me an apple from the basket on her stand. "Anything you want is on the house."
"Thanks," I laughed, fumbling to catch the apple. I put it and a few oranges in my bag. I waved to her and went on my way.
A few boys glanced over at me as I walked by, one even giving a wolf whistle. Pigs. I kept on my way, trying to ignore them, but they weren't just going to let me do that. A couple of them stayed on my trail as I continued shopping around. After I bought a loaf of bread from one man, I coundn't take those boys trailing me any longer. I saw the flower shop up ahead and decided I would lose them by sneaking in there. Surely I'd be hidden by the bustling crowd. I make my way over to the doors and slid inside, glancing warily out of the small window to see if I'd lost them. Luckily, they didn't see me. I let out a sigh of relief.
But I did draw the attention of one other boy. The customer talking with the shop owner, buying roses. When he turned around, I saw his eyes. The same color as the flowers in his hand, his hair the same color of the petals of the daisies on display. I was in total shock. To run into him here, in Resembool, after not having seen him in months. "Kain..."
He gave me his half smile, holding out the roses. "For you."
My face turned bright red as I gingerly took the bouquet from his hands. I beamed up at him, then wrapped my arms around his neck, tears building up and threatening to fall. He hugged my waist and I could hear his deep, warm laugh.
"I missed you..." I said with a waver in my voice.
He squeezed my waist tighter. "I missed you too."
--
We headed back towards my house, our fingers intertwined. I held the flowers with my free hand, bringing them to my nose about every two minutes. Gah, how sweet was he?
"I'm sorry for not coming to see you in a while," Kain apologized.
"4 and a half months..." I mumbled. Then louder, "It's fine. I mean, I've missed you, but it's all been fine." Eh. White lies.
"I'm sorry," he chuckled uneasily, running his hand through his hair, which had gotten longer since the last time I'd seen him. He had the longer strands pulled up into a messy ponytail, the shorter strands falling loosely over the nape of his neck. "I've just been busy..."
"With what?"
"Everything," he chortled. "I've just been working a lot of jobs to make some extra money. Roses aren't cheap." He winked at me.
"Aw, don't spend your money on me! You jerk!"
"I'm a jerk for getting the most beautiful girl in the world flowers?"
I blushed deep crimson, bumping him with my shoulder. "Shut up," I laughed.
"You think I'm lying?" he asked, slowing to a stop.
I stood beside him and giggled again. "I don't know."
"Oh really?" He removed his hand from mine, moving it to the small of my back and pulling me closer, forcefully pressing his lips to mine. I closed my eyes in pure bliss, my arms around his neck, running my hands through his hair and pulling him as close as possible.
I could stay like this forever... Him, holding me as if his life depended on it, I happily recieving it. Kain... The boy who risked his life to save mine, still willing to give himself over to me completely. This brave, strong boy, seeming totally vulnerable in my arms, yet with more power than ever.
And this bittersweet feeling, knowing I couldn't have him as much as I craved. That he was too distant to reach, even if he was physically right next to me.
We seperated, still keeping our lips mere inches apart, our foreheads touching.
"I love you, Sarah..."
My breath caught. Every time I heard those words from his mouth, which was seldom, I lost all feeling. Nothing at all but blissful agony. I love him so much...but I can never... We would never be able keep this up if we kept this distance between us. Each time he left for Ishval, it would feel like daggers piercing my heart. I just wanted to follow him. To stay by his side forever. But Mother and Father had made it clear that was never to go to Ishval again... I yearned to break the rule. I could do it now that Kain was here. I could leave with him. Escape Resembool and never come back. I could be with him.
But...I couldn't bring myself to it. I coudn't do that to Mother and Father. I just... I don't know.
But I just wanted to be with Kain so badly it hurt...
"Stay here..." I whispered. "With me..."
His muscles went slightly rigid. "In Resembool?"
"Yes... Please?"
He took a step back. "Sarah... I... I can't."
My heart sunk. "Please..." I begged. "I can't stand it here without you!" Tears formed at the rims of my eyes.
"I just can't, Sarah... I'm sorry," he apologized, looking at the ground and putting his hands in his pockets.
Tears started rolling down my face, defying my objection. "Kain...! Don't you know how much it hurts to be away from you for so long?"
"Sarah..." he sighed, turning away, hanging his head. "I just..."
I took a deep breath, trying to compose myself.
"I... I have too much going on in Ishval right now."
I crossed my arms. "Don't give me that. What's your real reason?" I asked venomously.
He inhaled and turned back towards me. "Because-- because I just hate Amestris!" he exploded. I suddenly felt terrible about bringing up the topic. "I can never go anywhere without people staring at me and worrying if I'm going to kill them, just because I'm Ishvallan!" He took another deep breath and ran his hand down his face. "I'm sorry... You know I care for you so much, but... I'm just not ready to deal with that kind of discrimination again."
He had every right to feel this way. I mean, the first time I met him, he was being beaten up by a group of Amestrian teenage boys. No telling what he'd gone through before that. Other than Amestrians killing his parents and destroying his village.
Okay. I'm a total jerk for having brought up the topic.
I took a step towards him and put my hands in his. "Kain, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..."
"It's fine."
"Really, I--"
"Don't worry about it." The smile he gave me made my heart break.
I leaned my head on his chest and he ran his fingers through my hair.
"It's getting late," he mumbled. I looked at the sky and saw the sun setting over the hilly horizon of Resembool.
I looked up at him. "I'm sure it would be alright if you stayed with us tonight," I offered. "Theo's in Central, so we have an extra bed."
A grin spread on his face. "I have a better idea."
I gave him a quizzical look as he pulled me off the path and through the meadow full of colorful flowers. After walking for a while, we came to a stop by a large tree.
"How do you feel about camping?" he asked, grinning and sitting down at the base of the tree.
A stupid smile made its way onto my face as I started blushing again. Staying alone? At night? With a boy? I realized that it wouldn't have been much different if he had stayed at my house. It would've been just the two of us, alone in my and Theo's room. So... It was pretty much the same as staying with him out here, right?
I plopped down beside him, still a bit nervous, but relaxed, yet afraid, but still happy. In other words, it was like I was ten bipolar people all in one.
I mean I'm 15... and Kain is...18...
Father was going to kill me tomorrow. And you know what? This would be so worth it.
--

Kain gently kissed my cheek as I sat on his lap under the tree. It was so cozy, curled up against him. It had gotten considerably colder, as almost every summer night does here in Resembool, but Kain's warmth as I leaned on him was more than enough. I sat my head on his chest drowsily, though wishing I wasn't. I didn't want to sleep. I wanted to stay here with him. I didn't want this night to end.
Listening to his steady heartbeat was soothing, and made me even more tired. My eyelids drooped, but I willed them to stay open for as long as I could, staying in this moment as long as possible. "I love you..." I sighed in a sleepy daze. Please don't let this night end... I can't let him go again...
He smoothed my hair and planted a kiss on top of my head. I could feel him smiling. His warm, beautiful smile.
I gave a smile of satisfaction before I drifted off to sleep. I hoped to dream of Kain. No nightmares. Just him. But if I did have a nightmare, he could be the only one to comfort me. Because he understands.

No comments:

Post a Comment