Wednesday, March 6, 2013

I TURNED A CORNER

A/N: Demy here with a one shot from Travis' POV!! Woohoo! I had to do it... Travis needs more love. I mean, he gets a ton, but the more the better, right? Anyway, this starts right before Sarah and Theo come to Central.
Disclaimer: I do not own Fullmetal Alchemist (though if I did, I would totally make WWTC canon...)


(TRAVIS)


"Travis, get up!"
A few seconds passed, then the beating on the door continued.
"Now," Mom commanded.
I growled and put my pillow over my head, blocking out the sound, and the light coming in through the window.
"It is almost noon," Mom said forcefully. "If you don't get out of bed right now--"
"Alriiiiight!" I forced out through the pillow, which muffled my voice. I sighed and took the pillow off my head, momentarily blinded by the shaft of light shining directly on my face. Sitting up, I threw the white sheets to the foot of the bed and stood. It was incredibly cold being covered only by thin pants and a silk nightshirt. This time of year was freezing in Central. I walked over to the long mirror hanging on the wall and glanced over my appearance. Even though I'd just woken up and my hair was terribly messy, you had to admit I still looked naturally amazing. I chuckled to myself as I unbuttoned my shirt and changed into a cashmere sweater, then exchanged my pajama pants for gray slacks and a belt. I fastened the belt seemingly tight, but the waist of my pants are never quite as skinny as me.
"You'd better be up," Mom called from the hallway.
"Yes, Mom," I replied, then mumbled under my breath, "Would you just calm down?" as I fixed my blond hair in the mirror.
I slipped on my black leather shoes and grabbed my black overcoat, walking out of my room, then headed down the stairs and went to the kitchen, where Clint sat at the table, reading as usual. That kid needs to get out more...
The little blond boy looked up from his book curiously. "Where are you going?" he asked as I put my coat on.
"Out," I replied casually.
"Uh huh..."
"What's that look about?" I asked, glancing over at him.
"Does mother know you're going out with some girl?"
"Who says I am?"
He looked me up and down. "You went to the trouble to wear nice clothes."
"What?! I always wear nice clothes!" I shouted probably a bit too loudly, and defensively.
He grinned.
Mom walked into the kitchen. "What are you yelling about?" she asked, then took in my appearance. "And where are you going young man?"
"Young? I'm seventeen!" I defended, stomping my foot, which didn't really scream 'mature' to anyone. "I'd say I'm old enough to go out when I want."
Mom scoffed. "Oh really?" she asked, raising her eyebrows. "Are you aware how many people would love to get their hands on the fuhrer's son?"
I smirked. "Just about every girl in Amestris."
"Not what I meant." Her gaze changed to a glare.
I sighed and leaned against the wall. "Come on, Moooommm..." I groaned. "I can handle myself. In case you haven't noticed, I'm pretty awesome."
She rolled her eyes and brushed some strands of blond hair from her face. "And you want me to let you leave the house for such a stupid reason as you wanting to meet a girl?" she asked.
"Of course not!" I lied, thinking quickly. If I didn't come up with something, she wasn't going to let me leave. "I'm..." my eyes shifted over to Clint, who'd been looking on at the conversation, seeming very amused. "I'm taking Clint to... Um, yeah. Taking Clint to go..."
"Sorry, can't," Clint interjected with a cough. "I have a cold. I'll get even more sick."
I made a smile to mask my annoyance and took a step towards him. I leaned over and mumbled in his ear, "There's something in it for you. Just come on," I commanded.
He gave me a little wink and got up from the table, going to grab his coat and scarf from the rack. "Going with Travis, Mom," he said quickly, pulling me out the door. "Bye!" I wondered how he was going to take it when I told him that there wasn't actually anything in it for him. Well...he'd find out eventually, so oh well.
Once we got a good distance away from home I crowed with excitement. "Alright! Finally!" I laughed, then looked down at Clint. "Thanks for not screwing stuff up, little nerd." I ruffled his blond hair, which was considerably shorter than mine.
He shoved my hand off, then shoved his fists in his coat pockets. "So what are we going to do?" he asked/coughed, kicking a rock as we walked down the sidewalk.
I pondered for a moment. I hadn't had any real plans earlier. Just to go out and most likely meet a chick or two. But since Clint was with me, that would be difficult. Or would it?
A girl walked past me that very moment. She looked about sixteen, with brown hair and sparkling blue eyes. I stopped on a dime and turned toward her, just catching her taking a backwards glance at me, then giggling and continuing on her way.
Clint stopped beside me, his head slightly cocked. I looked back down at him, a grin spreading across my face. "Tell ya what we're gonna do," I said, then looked back at the girl walking away. "IIIII'm gonna go over there--" I pointed towards her. "--and you are going to sit on this bench." I pointed to the bench we were standing beside. I'd already tried to start catching up with her, when Clint cut me off.
"You can't just leave me here!" he shouted. "And what happened to no girls? You lied to Mother!"
I let out a deep breath. "I assumed you'd already gathered that when you said you'd come along."
"I did," he replied. "And you also said there was something in it for me."
"And that's not the only lie I've told today," I said with a wave of my hand, then ran up to the girl before Clint could stop me. It would take him twice the time to get to me, considering his total lack of physical strength. But even so, he still walked a good distance behind us, not seeming to care that I'd ditched him.
"Hello there," I greeted the brown-haired girl. "My name's Travis."
"Victoria," she replied, giggling.
"I like that," I said a bit lower, looking into her eyes. "It's pretty."
"Why thank you." Her face turned a deep red, which she used her long hair to hide. I gently brushed the hair out of her eyes.
"Covering up your face is doing mankind such a disservice," I stated, running my fingers through the chocolate-colored locks. This made her blush even more. I smirked, which she returned with a cute little grin. "See? That's what I was going for," I laughed, gesturing to her smile. She giggled again. We walked with conversation like this for at least five minutes, I making remarks, she giggling at every one of them.
"So..." she mumbled. "Do you wanna... I mean... If you're not doing anything tomorrow--"
"I'd love to," I interjected.
"G-great! I--"
"Hey, Travis!" I heard behind me. Clint.
He ran to catch up with us, and was panting by the time he did.
Victoria looked down at him, smiling, then back up at me. "You know him?" she asked.
"He's my brother..." I said through clenched teeth.
"Hi! I'm Clint!" he said, cheerfully out of character. He was planning something...
Victoria gushed over how 'adorable' Clint was. This kid...
Clint looked up at me as if just remembering something. "Oh, Brother! I couldn't help but hear you two making plans about tomorrow," he stated, looking up at me with big brown eyes. "Won't your girlfriend be mad?"
I stopped mid-stride, my eyes widening. I opened my mouth to say something, but Victoria beat me to it.
"Girlfriend?!" she shouted, looking like she could just about murder me. Gee... She sure did seem calm before...
"N-no! I--" I stuttered. "I don't have a girlfriend!!"
Clint cocked his head. "What about the one girl that you were talking to yesterday? Or the one before that? Which one's your girlfriend, again?" he asked with faux innocence.
I took a deep breath, trying to tell myself not to beat the living crap out of this kid.
Victoria's glare cut through me like a sword, positively frightening. She screamed obscenities at me, then kicked me in the shin and stormed off.
Clint's grin grew more sinister, and he laughed giddily.
I stared at him with rage clearly visible in my eyes. "You're dead."
He ran as fast as he could away from me, which was just fast enough, considering I was limping, thanks to Victoria.
I chased Clint home and up the stairs. I knew he would go hide in his bedroom, but I was prepared to wait outside his door for as long as it took so I could wring his little neck. I turned a corner as I went down the hallway, then stopped abruptly as I saw there were other people up here.
"Father!" I heard Clint shout ahead of me. I saw him hide behind the blue military uniform.
"What is it, son?" Dad asked curiously.
Clint clutched Dad's shirt. "Before he says anything, I swear I didn't--"
"I'm gonna kill you, Clint!" I shouted, not caring if I had to go through Dad to get to him. I closed the distance between them and me.
Dad sighed. "What did he do now, Travis?"
"He made me look stupid in front of--"
"Please don't tell me this is about a girl," Mom spoke up, crossing her arms. Whoops. I wasn't supposed to even be with any girls today...
I groaned and rolled my eyes, knowing I was already defeated by the time this conversation even started. But something caught my eye. A girl standing beside mother. She was younger, with blonde hair and big blue eyes. This wasn't the same as earlier... This girl really was beautiful.
"Boys, can you go settle this yourselves?" Dad asked, though it was more of a command than a question. "We have business to discuss with the Elrics."
I shifted my gaze from the girl, trying not to look like I was staring. My attention snapped back to Dad. "Ah, whatever," I said, suddenly not quite as mad as I'd been. "It's fine, I guess. As long as Clint doesn't do it again."
Clint shook his head rapidly, apparently happy that I wasn't going to beat his head in. For now.
After that, I went to my room and shut the door behind me, leaning on it for support. I quickly threw my coat off, feeling like I would overheat if I didn't. As I looked in the mirror, I saw that my face had turned red. I'd never felt like this... What was it? Was it...that girl? No, that couldn't be it. All I'd done was look at her. And yet...she was just...her eyes were so...captivating. I felt like my heart was about to explode... And I didn't even know her. I didn't even know her name. But she still made me feel so unsettled... This foreign feeling frightened me, but it was also exhilarating. No girl had ever done this to me. I felt...sick. Terribly sick.
That's it, I thought to myself. This will be the death of me...

No comments:

Post a Comment