Sunday, April 7, 2013

Your Father's Son- READ

A/N: Well...I've been thinking of doing something like this for a while, and while I was sick (and very delirous) I got this idea. Theo is deathly scared of Roy, and I've been watching Brotherhood in English recently, and it's just starting to get across to me how much Roy really cares about Ed and Al, maybe Ed moreso? Anyway, even though it seems like Roy hates Ed, he really doesn't and kind of thinks of him as a brother (maybe?...MAYBE??(inside jokes~~)) (or lover for the yaoi fangirls...ehh....this may come across as RoyTheo, and I swear its not. Even though I've come to the conclusion that Theo must be bisexual because I am a female. He just...has to be...(Both Roy and Ed are obviously straight--Welp, Roy may have expiremented in Ishval. I've no doubt he put his pecker in whatever was available)

After getting all the yaoi fangirls happy with my rambling....

Anyway, just trying to get in some Roy and Theo bonding that doesn't involve prositutes and the intoxication of minors, this story came about. Enjoy~~~

Title: Your Father's Son
Summary: Theo is sick, and while Maes is looking after him, she needs sleep too. Who does she ask to cover for her once she collapses? Why, only Popsicle dearest, the Fuhrer of Amestris, and Theo's worst nightmare: Roy Mustang. Even though the sight of him has Theo shaking, the former Colonel may care about the boy more than he lets on....


"Theo...of all times you choose to do this..."
"I'm sor--" I was cut off by my spurt of coughing, wracking my lungs until they screamed with pain, my head throbbing from the convulsion.
"Theo!" Maes cried, bringing back the wet washcloth to my forehead, wiping the sweat from my brow.
"Thanks, sweetie..." I mumbled.
"Don't talk," she urged, black eyes filled with so much concern, it was like she hurt just looking at me.
I hated that look. I hated when she couldn't smile.
"Theo...you're so pale..."
(THERE'S NO LIGHT IN THE CLOSET. Erase this, unlike the Havoc line...or leave it...I think it's funny....up to you....)
I reached up--taking quite a bit of my strength--and touched her cold cheek. "So are you," I whispered. She looked away.
"Theo--"
"No. Maes, you're tired. Please go rest. It's not helping either of us when you're slaving away like this. If you get tired, then you'll get sick like me....Maes, please, please go rest."
Maes black eyes studied me as she pulled back, little hands never leaving the place at my chest where they were balled with stress. Her black messy hair was even rattier than usual, frizzy and falling out of the bun she had pulled it back in when I first got the aches and couldn't leave my bed. That had been days ago.
I hated seeing her like this.
"Maes...please...seeing you happy and relaxed might make me get better faster...."
She nodded slowly, then more feverantly. "You're right," she said decidedly. "I'll go rest...then write another letter to your father--"
"My fath--" I broke into coughs again.
"Y-yes..." Maes whispered distractedly once my fit was over. "I wrote him when you first were bedridden. He's quite upset. I told him not to come...I know how anxious he makes you...Oh, Theo, look at your eyes! I've upset you!!"
Maes buried her fragil head into my chest, but I felt so useless right now. Why couldn't I protect her? Why did she have to protect me? She shouldn't see me like this. How, after all this, could she look up to me? I wanted to marry this girl. Wives should look up to their husbands and be their protectors. We should be strong and she should come to me in danger. Now...now what was I to say? I'm still just as useless as that day in the forest when I ran away with my sister and Clint. The day she killed to protect me. The day he died.
"Maes...p-please don't worry...go rest...."
"I can't just leave you here alone..." she mumbled.
"Go!"
- - - - - - -
The sun was setting by the time I woke up again. I heard my door creak open, and I tensed a little. I didn't have the energy to sit up and reprimand Maes right now. She might've gotten enough sleep anyhow...but I did doubt it.
Rolling over to see her, I groaned, my muscles crying out at the movement.
"Mae--"
I stopped as two black eyes cut me
But not the black eyes I loved.
The Fuhrer King Mustang stood over my bed, glaring at me. Every crying cell in me went on high alert, intensifying my pain ten fold.
"S-sir!" I cried, only to fall into a fit of coughs.
"Calm down, kid," Roy sighed, taking a seat in the chair next to my bed where Maes had been perched for the past few days. "I'm not here to harrass you. I'm here to make sure you don't do anything stupid...I'm only doing it because Maes wouldn't let work until I agreed to watch you...so....shut up and lie down."
I'd never seen the Fuhrer so awkward before, but I turned on the most comfortable side, facing him.
I shut my eyes, but I could still feel his roaming over me, anxiously glancing and putting in effort to read my expression. Right now I could only manage one--pain.
"Do you need anything?" The Fuhrer quickly spit out, causing my heavy eyes to fly back open.
"Er, no...sir."
Roy's black eyes looked concerned. "Blankets...water...anything?"
"N-no, Sir. Nothing," my voice died off, and my body was unable to be comfortable as the sun began to set. Silence engulfed us until he broke it again.
"You know, I've looked after your father in times like this."
My eyes wandered up to his face, and I knew I looked like a child wrapped up in these blankets. "You have?"
He snorted. "Tons of times. Your father was always in the hospital, constantly. Of course I watched over he and Alphonse," he sighed, glancing out the window as the sun dissapeared behind a line of trees,"they were important to me."
I wiggled, uncomfortable. "Father never...never speaks highly of you. You act as if he was your son."
I winced. Horrible word choice, you bumbling idiot? "Or a brother."
Roy laughed regardless, his chest shaking with amusement. My face flushed. "Not a wonder. I was quite rude to your father. Teasing of course...I did my best to protect them, though they were often angry with me for doing so....as for me being like a brother, I don't believe the Elrics would accept me so easily. I do believe Edward saves the right for his brother to be one person, and vice versa for Alphonse. And as for a father," his expression got dreamy, looking sadly out the window,"I hoped I could serve as much. Lt. Hughes did a good job of that, for your mother too," he put his head in his hands,"then he was gone. It was like he left me with everything, dealing with his loss, then those boys came back to Central....How was I supposed to tell them? He'd been so good to those three...."
I swallowed. Lt. Hughes, Maes namesake. I'd heard of him once or twice before through Roy's the first time, and Mother's later. Elicia, who had helped us on our journey, had been his only daughter. He was a good man from what I'd heard, and I'm sure he was important to Father and Mother.
"...Sir? How...how did you tell them?"
Roy laughed darkly, bringing his head from his hands. "I didn't."
"...What?"
"I lied to them. Told them he'd retired. It hadn't been five minutes later they found out the truth...he hated me for it. For a while, I suppose. You wouldn't believe how good your father is at holding grudges," he smiled, then glanced back down at me. "And I look down at you, Theo, and all I see is your father. You're so like him...and yet you're not. Your softer. Kinder." Roy ran a hand awkwardly through his slickbacked hair. "I can't believe I'm saying this...but I'm glad Maes has you. Don't tell your father this, but whatever he's doing with you kids," Roy ran his cold hand through my golden hair,"He's doing it right."
I looked at Mr. Mustang, and I think I was seeing him a bit differently than before.
I just...couldn't believe it. He didn't totally hate me? He liked that Maes was with me? What...(WHAT IS THIS MAGIC. lol, erase.) what does the Fuhrer think I am? I'm not a rich kid, one of higher ranked officier's children, who expect to be married to his daughter. I'm not the child of a military friend or family member. I'm Theo Elric, son of the rude, violent, undermining Fullmetal Alchemist. I grew up in my mother's automail shop with two fighting parents, a dying grandmother, and a whiny little sister. I went to a school house of about eleven children. I walked home everyday with my sister, we'd do homework at a kitchen table with an apple pie on the stove and a dog at our feet. We'd listen to tinking and pages turning and screaming and labored breathing as we fell asleep. We'd fall asleep, one with tears streaming down her face, the other with white-knuckled fists clencing, ripping a blanket. What right did I have to his daughter?
I knew the answer before I even asked the question.
Roy didn't like me because I was my father's son, or because I had good character, or because I wanted to be in the military.
He loved me because when Maes came home from our journey, for the first time in years she was smiling. Her black eyes didn't seem dead and distant. They were soft and shining with emotion as I wrapped my arms around her my living room that night, our hair and faces still both caked with dust and blood. I don't think I'd remembered a time when she'd ever been more beautiful.
There was a knock at the door and Maes entered in her black nightgown, holding a fluttering candle.
"Thank you, Daddy," Maes said, leaning down to kiss her father's cheek. Roy smiled, and rose, kissing his daughter's forehead. "Anytime, sweetie. Don't forget to come to bed later."
"I'll probably just stay here, Dad," she said, coming to take Roy's chair and sitting the candle on the table, already tangling her hands in my hair. She looked so much better after having slept, bathed and ate. Healthier and happier. She beamed at me, hands coming to stroke my face, then returning her attention to dunking the rag in the wash basin before patting my face clean of sweat again.
"Thanks," I whispered to her, using some of my energy to grab her hand. She smiled at me, and I loved the way she smiled in the dark, only the light of the candle showing me her pale face. Smiling, like it was only for me.
I looked back at the Fuhrer, his posture still high and stiff. "Alright..."
But Maes wasn't listening as she pressed her lips--now void of the usual black paint--to my hand.
"Goodnight, children," he sighed, before closing the door and leaving us.
"I love you," Maes whispered, as if it had been us alone all along.
"Love you..." I mumbled, kissing her hand, each of her fingers. Her eyes took on a mischievous look.
"Maes?" I whispered, eyes scanning her.
She popped out of her chair and onto the bed, both of her knees on either side of my hips.
"Mae--" I gasped as her lips found my clavicle, kissing her way up to my juglar and my chin. "Maes, stop--"
She leaned over me, to kiss my lips, but I pushed back on her shoulders.
"Maes, if you kiss me, you might get sick and then you'll just be stuck in a bed like me--"
"Let's see," she said, sitting on my stomach and holding her chin in her hand. "Go to History tutor tomorrow...or be stuck in a bed with my boyfriend?" Her black eyes found mine and her lips tweaked up at the corner.
 "I think I'll take my chances."





A/N: Maes kissed him at the end, if we have people wondering. Anyway....
Demy and I are currently having a conversation about how Paninya and Garfiel are both likely our Godparents.
I don't think either one of us are too fond of them....
As far as one-shots go, what's next? Well I can't even give you a hint...but boys, that's a wrap.
Cut, Print, Moving on!

Edit: I wanted to say why I wrote this and other ideas that came before it. I was discussing with Demy about how scared Theo is of Roy, and how they needed to male bond. Originally, my idea (as a joke) was to have Theo say something one day about 'Lovely Ladies' and then Roy yell at him saying,"I told you to tell no one of that!!" For those of you who don't know, 'Lovely Ladies' is a song from one of mine and Demy's favorite musicals, and it's a song about prostitutes. So, I decided to go cleaner and do this...and therefore have Maes molest Theo in the end...isn't that better?

Have a good rest of the week guys!!

-Meg and Demy

No comments:

Post a Comment