Sunday, April 7, 2013

I'm Just a Sidekick-Read

A/N:So, I had a conversation with Demy the other day about how absolutely useless Theo really is. I mean, Maes has the gloves, Travis has the gun, Sarah can use alchemy, Clint is a freaking genius/innocent child, and Theo's just kinda...there. I mean, I mention once that Travis gives him a pocket knife when they first get to Ishval, and he says he'll defend Sarah and Clint using it...but that wouldn't do much. I mean, I could buy one of those at a neighborhood walmart, but it wouldn't protect me from a rapist or nothin'. So...yeah. I watched AVPSY today, and Ron Weasley sings the song "I'm Just a Sidekick" to Hermione, saying how he's not the he's not the star of the story, but he knows he's special. The scene really made me think of Theo and Maes, so I decided to write this. It follows up 'I Like the Way You Do It' which should have been posted by the point this gets up. So...yeah. I'll shut up and start. I feel like I'm notoriously getting into the habit of long author's notes....

Title:I'm Just a Sidekick

Summary: Maes locks herself in her room, and Theo finds her, crying. She vents that she's simply mourning Travis, and in her fit, yells at Theo for not being able to save him. Theo knows he's not the best, brightest, strongest, handsomest, or most perfect member the gang that went to Ishval, but he knows he's special, and there's a reason why. Fluff, angst, TheoxMaes. Enjoy!

"Maes...Maes...? Oof!" I looked down to see one of the many dogs the Fuhrer keeps. It's white with a black mask, small and fluffy. I picked the dog up, and shoved it in a chair.
"Watch out, why don't you? People have places to go and things to do and they aren't stopping for you, kid." The dog whimpered, but I just stuffed my hands in my leather jeans and walked on.
After sparring with me, Maes had just left. I went to shower, and she'd promised she would wait, but she didn't. I'd been at the Fuhrer's mansion about two weeks now, and I had to admit, eating dinner with him every night was weird, but every night I also got to hold her hand, kiss her goodnight as she left for her room. I wasn't an alchemist, but if equivalent exchange existed, it would be in this.
'Cause Roy Mustang is creepy as frick.
But his daughter....
"Maes?"
The sun was setting outside, and it cast an orange hue across the hallway. Maes had told me the other night, that I looked good in the sunlight. She still called me goldie, even after all this. All that we'd been through.
"Maes?"
Not in my room.
"Maes?"
Not in Clint's.
"Ma--"
Not even checking the Fuhrer's office....
"Maes?" My hand knocked on the bedroom door, and it swung open a bit. "Mae..." I stopped.
There she was on the bed, hunched over on her bed. Her long, ratty hair was sprawled out around her, covering her face, but I could still she her shaking. I could still see her sobs.
I bolted the door behind me before I went up to her.
"Maes...sweetheart..."
She jumped, and her arm is outstretched, bare hand pinched with thumb and middle finger together. I raised my eyebrows, and she huffed, and fell against the backboard of the bed with a sigh.
"That wouldn't have done anything, if was someone else, you know."
She doesn't look at me. Her black eyes are red rimmed, and she looks beaten and limp. "I know..."
"Maes..." I whispered, asking permission with my eyes before climbing onto the bed. I rubbed her arms and kissed her palms. "Baby, what's wrong?"
"It's nothing," she whispered, trying to laugh. She yanked her hands out of my hold, and wiped her eyes.
"That's a lie, Maes," I said, scooting closer, coming up to take the vacant seat next to her, so our legs and hips are parallel to each other. "Tell me..."
She was fine for a moment, then her shoulders started shaking. "Tr-Travis!" she wailed, her head getting thrown into hands.
I look at her, utter despair covering my face. "Maes..."
"No! I can't go a day anymore without thinking about him! At first...it was just like he was gone for a little while, and I guess I thought he'd just show up one day...but he's not showing up, Theo! Where is he?! It's not fair! Why did he go? He didn't do a damned thing wrong!" she screamed, her sobs wracking her body. "It's not f-f-fair...." she whispered.
"I know, sweetheart...I know, I--"
"Why didn't we save him?" she whispered, sobs slowing down.
I froze, my arms still around her shoulders. "Maes--"
"Why didn't you save him?!" Her hands flew to cover her face as she screamed, pure and anguished.
I didn't say anything for a long time, just held her as she cried. I know she didn't mean it when she said 'you'. Of course she blamed me. She probably blamed everyone at some point. It's all part of coming to terms with death, which she hadn't done yet.
"I know it's not fair..." I finally whispered in her ear, pulling her little body onto my lap as if it was weightless. "Maes, I thought he had it," my voice went high and cracked, and closed my eyes as I buried my face into her hair, something I did whenever I was nervous or scared. "I didn't know that was...I didn't know he was going to....I didn't know Maes. But if I had, well...I want to say I would've been there for him. But I don't know, because that's not how it happened. I might have saved him, if I could've. It would've made you smile, it would've made Sarah smile, and Clint, to see him alive. But either way, you'd lose me. I guess...just like you alchemists always say...everything has a price. Equivalent exchange, eh? Maes...I think, if I may be so bold, that if I died...wouldn't you still be here? Wouldn't you still be crying? I know...I know that I wasn't strong enough to save you from all the evil that happened....
"I'm not as smart as you, Maes. So, I probably couldn't have saved him if I tried. I know I wasn't leader of that team that went into Ishval to save my Uncle. I know I'm not a star. But I know that I'm still important, because I feel it, right here," I took her dainty hand and pressed it to my chest. She looked away from me, and lets her head fall to her lap.
"Maybe I am just a sidekick, Maes," I whispered,"but if it's your side I'm at...I'll never complain. I know I've been a doofus before...but trust me, if you need me to, I'll change. I'll be whatever you need help you through this. I'll do what I can to keep you safe.
"I know I'm not a pretty boy...but I am still a man. So I'll find a way to save you. When the story of the Elric brothers is told, I'll always be forgotten. I'll never be a front runner, and no one will remember my face. But when I think of you and how I feel, I forget about what I'm not and my heart swells up with pride. Am I the strongest? No, I'm not. Am I the smartest? No, I'm not. Am I the hottest? No, I'm not. But am I the greatest? No, I'm not! Am I the hero? No, I'm not. Am I the one who steals the show? No, I'm not. Am I the one that you should remember? No, I'm not. But am I the one who takes you home? Definitely not! Am I the chosen? No, I'm not. Am I the prodigal son? No, I'm not. Am I almost done? No, I'm not.
"But, Maes, I'm the one guy whose gonna love you with all his heart, because, frankly, it's the only thing I've got. I'm not an athlete or good at art, and I don't have any money. My brain definitely isn't the best part of me. I can't fight worth crap and I don't have a car, but I know that I'm needed here, because I'm here, right now with you. There's a reason Travis is dead. There's a reason I'm alive. I'm meant to stay because I love you, Maes. I'm meant to stay to love you."
She is finally smiling at me, and I smiled back, wrapping my arms around her shoulders. She didn't cry in my chest, like I expected, but kissed my collar bone.
"I love you too, you big doofus."
I smiled.
"What?" she asked, eyebrows pushing together.
"You said I'm big," I said. "Does that mean you know I'm going to get taller than you?"
She rolled her eyes and shoved me off the bed. "I should hope, Goldie. Either that, or learn to take me in a fight!"
A spark lit behind my eyes, and she caught the glint of mischief.
"Oh..." I smiled, crouching low,"I'll show you a fight."
"Theo," she warned,"Don't even think about it--"
I pounced onto the bed and pinned her down, letting my lips cover hers. Her whines of protest subsided beneath me, until she wrapped her arms around my neck, giggling.
"Theo Elric, you'll be the death of me, I swear you will!" she growled at me, still smiling. "But I'll always love you..."
"You'd better, after I just poured my freaking heart out."
She smiled. "Count on it."
"Theo Elric."
Oh shit...
"Do you want to explain to me why you are atop my daughter whilst in her bed?"

Yes. I definitely believe in equivalent exchange.


A/N: Not much to say...10 points to Gryffindor for whoever realized that I meantioned Black Hyate's kids... Umm...go check out AVPSY by Starkid. It's such a great ending to a great series of musicals. Love, love, love them and sad to see them go. I want to also say I watched that with only 20,000 views. That will be past a million or billion by the time I post this. 

Edit: Alright guys. The whole reason we started doing one-shots is to buy time that we could work on another story. We'd been playing around with two that I meantioned earlier, the Emma and Scout one and the one about our Amestrian counterparts...there really wasn't much of a plot...until I got hit in the face (which we all know is how most of our great stories begin. See my story Dream Within a Dream).

It's an entirely different story set after the end of Conqueror of Shamballa by about...two years? I think we've written more on that than the other two stories combined in a span of two days. It does take place in Germany during World War II.

Awesomeness insues is all I have to say. I can tell this is a great story, but it is a lot darker and more mature than WWTC. Almost darker than Dream Within a Dream...if not just as or more....

Anyhoo, if you want info on that check out our blog ( www. intertwinedteens. blogspot .com ) (take out the spaces) to see more about the plot, characters, and pictures. Of course there are also pictures for the WWTC manga, which is still in production, as well as Meg's awesome stick-figure story boards which I will have up soon. ~~~

I'm sorry for not posting more we've been writing all weekend I will post two stories again tonight.

And, for those who care, I'm on about episode nine of Soul Eater. And I'm about a fifth into the way of my Sebastian story. It's coming along slowly but surely. It's weird writing by myself.

Posting may be less and less for a while. Demy and I are working on our choir's Broadway Review, and we've been dancing our arse's off. I'm so notorious for long autor's notes...I'll shut up now...I guess this is my way to communicate to those who don't read the blog....

Anyhoo, love and hugs

-Meg and Demy

No comments:

Post a Comment